For the sponge:
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g unrefined golden caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds of
- 200g self-raising flour
- 400g mixed summer berries (mixture of red currants, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
For the decoration:
- 250g mixed fresh berries (mixture of red currants, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries)
- Edible gold leaf (optional)
- Sugared jasmine flowers (optional)
- Icing sugar, to dust
Preheat oven to 180C, and line the base of a 22cm spring-form cake tin with greaseproof paper.
Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and seeds and then beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Sift in the flour, and fold with a metal spoon.
Drizzle the golden syrup around the base of your lined tin, place a layer of whole berries on top, then spoon in the sponge mix. Sit the cake on a baking trap to catch any juice that may escape from the tin, and bake for 50-60 minutes.
Cool the cake in the tin for about 20 minutes, then turn it out, berries-side up.
To decorate, place the berries on top of the cake (slicing any larger strawberries). Sprinkle some edible gold leaf and jasmine flowers (both optional) on top, and finish with a dusting of icing sugar.