- 300ml ground almonds
- 60ml caster sugar
- 60ml cornflour
- 30ml icing sugar
- 5 large egg whites
- 160ml caster sugar
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 300g milk chocolate
- 250ml cream
- 25g soft butter
- 250ml flaked almonds
- 250ml whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Mark three 20cm circles on baking paper set on baking sheets.
- In a bowl, mix together the ground almonds, caster sugar, icing sugar and cornflour.
- In a large bowl, add the egg whites and pinch of cream of tartar.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs until soft peaks form.
- Add 160ml caster sugar and continue beating until soft, smooth and glossy.
- Carefully fold in almond mixture.
- Spoon mixture into piping bag fitted with 1cm plain nozzle.
- Pipe spirals into the marked circles, starting from the centre and piping outwards.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until meringue is a pale golden colour.
- Allow to cool on wire racks for 10 minutes before loosing meringues with a spatula – only remove from trays when completely cold.
- Chop chocolate finely.
- Place in a bowl and add the butter.
- Bring cream to boil and add to chocolate.
- Let it stand for 5 minutes before mixing until smooth.
- Let is stand until it reaches spreadable consistency.
- Place almond in dry pan.
- Over medium heat, shake the pan to toss the nuts.
- Toast until golden.
- Layer meringue with ganache, making sure the smooth side of meringue is top.
- Cover entire cake with ganache as well.
- Add the toasted almonds around the side the cake.
- With extra whipped cream, pipe swirls with a large star nozzle.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.