- 2 cups ground almonds
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 90ml cornflour
- 7 egg whites
- 200g caster sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 450g unsalted butter, diced, at room temperature
- 2 oranges, zest of
- 1tsp orange blossom water
- 2tbsp water
Candied orange peel:
- 2 oranges
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g water
- Caster sugar, for coating
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- Rose petals
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Line three baking trays with baking powder. Mark each with an 8-inch circle.
- Place ground almonds, 90ml of the caster sugar and cornflour into a small bowl.
- Mix and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Gradually add the remaining caster sugar and continue beating until meringue.
- Carefully fold almond mixture into the meringue.
- Spoon mixture into piping bag with a 1-inch plain nozzle.
- Starting from the centre, pipe a circle onto the prepared parchment paper.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until pale and golden.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before loosening meringue with a large spatula.
- Place caster sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer syrup to 120°C, then add orange blossom.
- Whisk eggs yolks and zest to ribbon stage.
- Pour syrup into egg mixture.
- Continue whisking until thick and light.
- Add butter, a little at a time, until smooth.
- Refrigerate to firm.
Candied orange peel:
- Finely slice the orange zest, and place in pan with sugar and water.
- Bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, and keep cooking until it turns into syrup.
- Carefully remove the zest onto a piece of baking paper.
- Roll the candied peel in caster sugar.
- Place one meringue layer on a serving platter.
- Using a piping bag, pipe a layer of buttercream.
- Repeat with the second and third layer.
- Cover top and sides with remaining buttercream, reserving a bit for decoration.
- Smooth top and sides.
- Sprinkle toasted almond flakes around the side of the cake.
- Brush rose petals with egg white and lightly dust with caster sugar to crystallise.
- Decorate with orange peel and rose petals.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.