- 250g pecan nuts
- 300g caster sugar
- 25g cornflour
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 pinch of salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 125g caster sugar
- 30g cornflour
- 10g cake flour
- 400ml full cream milk
- 150ml Amarula liqueur
- 15g unsalted butter
- 250ml whipping cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- 100g icing sugar
- 6 kiwi fruits, ripe
- 15 whole pecan nuts
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Coarsely pulse the nuts and lightly toast. Cool.
- Add 100g of caster sugar and cornflour to 100g of the nuts.
- Wisk the egg whites at medium speed until ‘frothy’.
- Increase the speed, gradually adding the remaining sugar, until stiff and glossy.
- Fold in the pecan nut mixture.
- Fill piping bag and pipe three 21cm rings onto baking parchment.
- Bake for 1 hour, swapping the tray around half way to ensure an even bake.
- Turn off oven, open door and leave meringues to cool completely.
- Whisk the egg yolks and half the sugar until pale and creamy.
- Sieve in the cornflour and flour and mix.
- Add the milk, remaining sugar and Amarula.
- Bring to the boil then strain the milk into the egg yolk mixture.
- Pour back into a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Boil for 2 minutes, until thick and custard like. Stir in the butter and leave to cool.
- Transfer into a clean bowl and refrigerate.
- Whip the cream and seeds of the vanilla pod.
- Add icing sugar, to taste.
- Peel and slice the kiwi fruits.
- Place the first meringue on a display plate.
- Layer with a third of the filling and some of the sliced kiwi fruits.
- Add the second meringue layer.
- Layer with another third of the filling and some of the sliced kiwi fruits.
- Add the third meringue.
- Spread the remainder of the filling around the sides.
- Press the chopped nuts (250g) to the sides.
- Decorate the top with piped Chantilly cream, kiwi fruits and whole pecan nuts.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.