- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 370g caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla paste
- 4 eggs
- 415g self-raising flour
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 250ml full-cream milk
- 150g Pink Lady apples, grated and cubed
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g brown sugar
- 110g icing sugar
- 270g almond flour
- 250g Philadelphia cream cheese
- 250g crème fraîche
- 110g unsalted butter, softened
- 270g icing sugar
- Apple peel shavings, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Cream the butter, caster sugar and vanilla paste together with an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating until just combined.
- Sift the flour and cinnamon together.
- Gradually fold in the flour and milk.
- Fold the grated and cubed apple into the mixture.
- Fill the cupcake cases with equal amounts of filling.
- Bake for 20+ minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool in the tray for 5 minutes before removing.
- Turn down the oven to 160°C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl, and combine with a dough hook.
- Crumble pieces onto the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven until golden.
- Combine the cream cheese, crème fraîche and butter with a paddle attachment.
- Sift the icing sugar into the mixture, and mix until smooth.
- Transfer to a piping bag.
- Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with crumble.
- Top with shavings of apple peel.
This recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.