• 2 cups (500ml) left-over risotto, cooled
• 1 egg yolk
• 1 ball buffalo mozzarella ball, broken into small pieces
• 1-2 tbsp (15-30ml) fresh basil, chopped
• 1-2 tbsp (15-30ml) sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
• Salt and milled pepper
• ¾ cup (190ml) flour
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1 cup (250ml) dried breadcrumbs
• Oil, for deep frying
- Add the egg yolk to the chilled risotto, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mozzarella, basil and tomatoes and seasoning.
- Carefully roll the risotto mixture into little walnut-sized balls. Flatten the mixture out onto the palm of your hand, and drop 1 tsp mozzarella filling into the centre. Bring the edges together, and roll to form a neat ball.
- Prepare 3 individual mixing bowls containing seasoned flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs.
- Working with one ball at a time, roll it in the flour, then dip it in the egg mixture and finally roll it in the breadcrumbs. Shake off the excess crumbs. Ensure that the risotto balls are completely covered in crumbs.
- Deep fry risotto balls in medium-hot oil, until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and cheese is molten.