• 2 cups (250ml) whole milk
• 2 eggs
• 2 egg yolks
• ⅓ cup sugar
• 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract or paste
• Freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Place 6 ovenproof ramekins (or coffee cups marked as oven-safe) in a deep baking pan just large enough to hold them. Or you can use one big oven-to-table dish.
- Bring the milk to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk eggs, yolks, sugar and vanilla together.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture into the simmering milk, whisking gently to combine.
- Pour the mixture through a fine strainer into the cups (if the strainer clogs, use a spoon to scrape it clean), and then sprinkle lightly with the nutmeg.
- Pour hot (not boiling) water into the pan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the cups.
- Bake until the custard is just set (it should still be a tad wobbly), about 30-35 minutes.
- Cool custard cool in the water bath for about 2 hours before serving.