- 200g butter
- 200g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 350g self-raising flour
- 2½ml salt
- 10ml baking powder
- 2 ripe bananas
- ½ lemon, zest of
- 45ml milk
- 30ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 250g butter
- 500g icing sugar
- 250g cream cheese
- 200ml soft brown sugar
- 45ml water
- 550ml dark rum
- 1 ginger root
- 2½ml salt
- 12 flat ice cream cones
- 125g dried banana chips/pieces
- 100g dark chocolate
- 100g white chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease and flour a medium muffin tin, knocking out any excess flour.
- Mix the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, salt and baking powder to form a smooth batter.
- Mash the ripe bananas and stir in the milk and lemon zest.
- Add the banana mixture to the batter, and mix it well.
- Fill the muffin tins about ¾ full, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Heat the milk and the vanilla pod, until it simmers. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the butter and icing sugar together until thick and pale.
- Add the cream cheese and cooled vanilla milk.
- Whisk until light and fluffy.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water, and bring to the boil with the other ingredients.
- Stick an ice cream cone to the top of each cupcake.
- Pipe the icing on top of the cupcakes.
- Drizzle the rum syrup over the ice creams.
- Stick a chocolate shard into the side of each ice cream swirl.
- Sprinkle with dried banana crumble.
This recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.