• 2½kg beef shin or marrow bones
• 1 tbsp (15ml) brown sugar
• 8cm knob ginger, peeled and sliced
• 1 tbsp (15ml) coriander seeds
• 5 star anise
• 2 onions, peeled and chopped
• ¼ cup fish sauce
• Cooked rice stick noodles
• Coriander leaves
• Basil leaves
• Freshly sliced chilli
• Spring onions
• 300-400g thinly sliced beef fillet or sirloin, fried
- Boil bones in plenty of water for about 20-30 minutes. Drain and discard the water. Pat the bones dry.
- Fry bones in a glug of vegetable oil to brown. Remove from pan, and discard the oil.
- Return bones and remaining ingredients to pot, and top with cold water. Simmer (don’t boil) for about 2 hours. Skim the top of the stock during the process to help keep it clear.
- Strain stock – you are now ready to make your pho!
- Arrange noodles, meat, vegetables and herbs in large bowls. Spoon over piping hot stock and tuck in.
- Add chilli and lime juice, to taste.