• Olive oil
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 carrots, grated
• 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
• 3 cups (750ml) chicken or vegetable stock
• 2 x 410g cans tomatoes, chopped in juice
• 8 large, ripe tomatoes, blanched, skinned and chopped
• 1 tsp (5ml) sugar
• Sea salt and milled black pepper
• Parmesan rind, optional
• 4 fat garlic cloves, crushed
• Handful basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat a little olive oil in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and carrot, and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add stock, tomatoes, sugar, seasoning and parmesan.
- Bring the soup to the boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 45-60 minutes. You can leave the soup chunky, or purée it if you wish.
- Add the garlic and basil about 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve the soup with crusty bread and freshly grated parmesan cheese.