Serves: 6-8 people
Preparation time: 60 min
- 125 g margarine
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tbsp smooth apricot jam
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 500 ml full cream milk
- 3-4 egg yolks
- 2 tsp castor sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour (Maizena)
- 2 vanilla pods / 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Sift together flour, salt and ground ginger.
- In mixing bowl, cream together margarine and sugar. Add egg, then sifted dry ingredients. Mix well.
- In saucepan, warm milk then add bicarb and jam. Stir to combine.
- Add milk mixture to pudding mixture. Stir to combine.
- In pot, heat water, add sugar. Stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Pour sugar syrup over pudding mixture. Bake 180 C for 30-35 min.
- In saucepan, warm milk over low heat (do not boil).
- In bowl, add yolks, sugar, cornflour and combine.
- Pour warm milk into egg mixture and stir.
- Place custard into saucepan on low heat, add vanilla and allow to infuse.
- Strain and return to saucepan. Stir until thick.