- 1 cup plain flour
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 15g cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking powder
- 50g unsalted butter
- 100g dark chocolate, melted
- 1 free-range egg
- 125ml milk
- 50g candied orange peel, chopped
- 80ml orange juice
- 50g granulated sugar
- 2tbsp orange zest
- 50g candied orange peel
- ½ cup full-cream milk
- 5 sprigs rosemary
- 1 cup salted butter
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups icing sugar, sifted
- ¼ cup whole milk
- Candied orange peel, grated orange zest and fresh rosemary, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 paper cupcake holders.
- Blitz the flour, caster sugar, cocoa powder and baking powder together in a food processor, then add the butter and pulse until combined.
- In a jug, whisk the melted chocolate, egg and milk together.
- Stir the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
- Add the candied orange peel.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cupcakes have risen and a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the orange juice and granulated sugar together in a bowl.
- Pour the orange juice mixture over the warm cupcakes and set aside to cool.
- Add the milk and sprigs of rosemary to a small saucepan and warm over a medium heat. Stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, strain the rosemary from the milk.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter until fluffy and pale. Add the infused rosemary milk and vanilla, and whip.
- Mix in the icing sugar and whip until light and creamy.
- Add milk until desired consistency is reached.
- When cooled, pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes using a star nozzle.
- Decorate the cupcakes with candied orange peel, grated orange zest and fresh rosemary.
This recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.