• ½ cup (125ml) boiling water
• 125g dates, stoned and chopped
• ½ tsp (2ml) bicarbonate of soda
• ½ cup (125ml) butter
• ½ cup (125ml) soft brown sugar
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 1 cup (250ml) cake flour
• ½ tsp (2ml) baking powder
• ¼ tsp (1ml) salt
• ½ tsp (3ml) cinnamon
• ½ tsp (3ml) ginger
• Pinch nutmeg
• Grated peel of 1 orange
• ½ cup (50g) chopped pecan nuts
• ⅔ cup (160g) soft brown sugar
• 2 tsp (10ml) butter
• ⅓ cup (90ml) water
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
• Pinch salt
• ¼ cup (60ml) brandy
- Pour boiling water over chopped dates, and bring to the boil.
- Remove from heat, and add bicarbonate of soda. Mix, and leave to cool.
- Cream butter and sugar, and then beat in egg to create a smooth mixture.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg over the creamed mixture, and fold in.
- Stir in the dates, nuts and orange zest.
- Ladle into a 1½-litre baking dish (23cm pie dish).
- Bake in a preheated 180°C for 30-40 minutes, or until springy to the touch.
- Heating butter, sugar and water, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and boil for 1 minute, and add cinnamon.
- Remove from heat and stir in the brandy, vanilla and salt.
- Infuse while the pudding is baking.
- When the pudding is baked, remove cinnamon stick from syrup and pour over pudding.