- 175g caster sugar
- 60ml water
- 120ml whipping cream, warmed
- 175g unsalted butter, diced
- 115g unsalted butter
- 350g milk chocolate, chopped
- 100g granulated sugar
- 100g brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1tsp vanilla paste
- 80g cake flour
- 10g cocoa powder
- ¼tsp salt
- 100g dark chocolate
- Sea salt flakes
- Place the sugar and water into a non-stick pan on a medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Turn the heat to high and leave until the sugar begins to caramelise.
- Pour in the cream and whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add in half of the butter while continuously stirring.
- Dip the pan in a basin of cold water and add the remaining butter.
- Continuously stir on a low temperature until the butter is fully incorporated.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Line a rectangular baking tin with foil and butter lightly.
- Whisk the brown and white sugar into the chocolate mixture.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until fully incorporated.
- Whisk in the vanilla.
- Fold in the flour, cocoa powder and salt.
- Pour half of the brownie mixture into the buttered tin.
- Drizzle some caramel over the top, and cover with the remaining brownie mixture.
- Bake for 35+ minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow brownies to cool completely in the pan.
- Place in the freezer to help set.
- Place the remaining caramel in a piping bag with a small round nozzle.
- Cut the brownie block into 12 even pieces, removing the crust on sides so all are identical.
- Pipe strips of caramel onto the brownies.
- Sprinkle with salt.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.