Serves: 8 people
Preparation time: 60 min
- 250 g lean beef mince
- 250 g lamb mince
- 1 tin whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 sachet tomato paste
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 stalk celery, finely sliced
- 1 punnet portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 150 ml red wine
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- prepared béchamel sauce
- lasagne sheets
- cheddar cheese, grated, to top
- Sauté onion, carrot and celery in olive oil over medium heat for 8-10 min, until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and cook a further few min. Add mushrooms and cook a further few min, until almost cooked through and any excess moisture has cooked off.
- Increase heat, add mince and brown evenly. Add tomato paste and rosemary, stir.
- Add red wine and allow liquid to reduce by half before adding tinned tomato and sugar.
- Season well and cook a further 10 min to reduce, stirring every few min to prevent sticking and burning.
- Use mixture in lasgane, layered with béchamel sauce and blanched lasagne sheets.
- Top with grated cheddar and bake at 180 C for 30-35 min, until cheese has fully melted, is bubbling and going crisp on the edges.