- 100g flaked almonds
- 120g unsalted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 5ml almond extract
- 150g self-raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2-4tbsp milk
- 150g whole glacé cherries
- 50g unsalted butter
- 150g icing sugar
- 110ml pouring cream
- ½ lemon, zest of
- 5ml lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Prepare a cupcake tin with paper cases.
- Lightly toast the flaked almonds, and leave to cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, milk and almond extract.
- Add the dry ingredients, and mix.
- Chop the cherries into quarters, rinse well and then pat dry with a towel.
- Mix the cherries into the cupcake mixture.
- Pipe the batter into the cupcake cases and bake for +/-15 minutes.
- Cream the butter.
- Alternate with adding the icing sugar and cream a little at a time, until you reach a desired consistency.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Pipe over cooled cupcakes.
- Top with a sprinkle of the flaked almonds and whole cherries.
This recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.