• 300g egg or two-minute noodles
• 2-3 chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
• Peanut or canola oil
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2 carrots, cut into thin strips
• 3 tbsp (45ml) soy sauce
• 1 tbsp (15ml) sweet Indonesian soy sauce
• 3 tbsp (45ml) Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
• Pinch sugar
• Milled pepper
• 1 bunch spring onions, sliced on the slant
• Sesame oil
• Fresh coriander and basil, to serve
• 2 tbsp (30ml) soy sauce
• Juice of 1 small lemon
• 5cm knob ginger, grated
• 1 tbsp (15ml) sesame oil
- Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling water until tender. Rinse to cool, and set aside.
- Drizzle chicken with soy and lemon juice, and toss to coat with grated ginger. Marinate for about 10 minutes.
- Heat a wok over a high heat. Heat oil until very hot, and stir fry chicken in batches, for about 2-3 minutes. Don’t overcrowd the pan or the chicken will boil. Remove and set aside.
- Wipe the wok clean. Add more oil, and fry garlic and whatever vegetables you are using for about 1 minute.
- Add noodles, soy, rice wine or sherry, sugar, pepper and spring onions. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken and any marinade juices to the noodle mixture. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- Drizzle with a dash of sesame oil, toss through herbs and serve.