- 360g unsalted butter
- 360g caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 7ml vanilla extract
- 480g cake flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 3tsp baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- ½tsp coriander
- ½tsp nutmeg
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 100g unsalted butter
- 400g icing sugar
- 100ml pouring cream
- 20g cocoa powder
- 75ml pouring cream
- 75g milk chocolate
- 75g dark chocolate
- 10g unsalted butter
- Spray and Cook, for greasing
- 500ml ice water
- 1½tbsp Seville marmalade
- 2 packets orange jelly
- 10g gelatin powder
- 1 orange
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 100g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Prepare three 20cm springform cake tins.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Divide the batter equally into the springform baking tins.
- Bake in the oven for 50-55 minutes.
- Cream the butter.
- Add icing sugar a little at a time, alternating with the cream.
- Add the cocoa.
- Warm the cream in a heavy saucepan until just before boiling.
- Remove from the heat and break the chocolate into cream.
- Stir to melt chocolate.
- Add the butter.
- Spray the inside of 12cm springform baking tin with Spray and Cook, and line with cling film.
- Bring 250ml of water to the boil.
- Chop up 1½tbsp of Seville marmalade rind.
- Add water to the packets of jelly and dissolve thoroughly.
- Add 2tbsp of chopped Seville marmalade rind.
- Add 400ml ice water.
- Pour the jelly into the prepared springform baking tin to a height of +/-cm, and refrigerate.
- Cut the orange into slices, and then carefully halve each slice.
- Place the orange slices in a heavy saucepan and cover with sugar and water.
- Simmer gently for approximately 2 hours, until thick syrup is formed and the orange slices are soft.
- Remove from the heat, and place on rack to cool and harden.
- Place one of the sponges into a cold springform tin prepared with wax paper around inside edge.
- Add a light covering of butter icing, pour the ganache over and place in fridge to set.
- Take another 20cm sponge and cut out the centre with a 12cm tin.
- Lightly cover the first (base) sponge with icing.
- Add the second sponge (with the centre cut out), and add jelly to circular centre section.
- Add a layer of butter icing.
- Carefully remove the sides of the springform tin from the layer with the ganache.
- Place the third layer over the second layer.
- Ice the sides of the cake to cover the ‘surprise’.
- Decorate the top of the cake, and add candied orange and chocolate decorations.
This recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.