Serves: 4-5 people
Preparation time: 45 min
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated cheese (mature cheddar)
- finely grated parmesan cheese (to coat ramekins)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- Separate egg yolks from egg whites.
- Grate cheese.
- Grease ramekins with butter.
- Coat ramekins with parmesan cheese.
- Heat butter in frying pan then add flour. Remove from stove.
- Pour in milk then return to heat and stir until thick.
- Add paprika, nutmeg and salt to mixture, adding more milk if mixture becomes too thick.
- Add egg yolks, 1 at a time.
- Pour mixture into a glass bowl and allow to stand.
- Whip egg whites until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into mixture.
- Add in grated cheese.
- Transfer batter to ramekins and place on baking tray.
- Bake at 180 C for 25 min, without opening oven.