• 110g short-grain rice
• 450ml cream
• ¾ pint (450ml) full-cream milk
• 55g castor sugar
• Pinch grated nutmeg
• 1 vanilla pod, seeds removed
• 25g butter
- Preheat oven to 150°C, and grease a 1½ litre ovenproof dish with a little butter.
- Rinse rice under cold water, and drain in a colander.
- Place cream, milk, castor sugar, nutmeg and vanilla into a medium saucepan. Bring to a very gentle simmer, remove from heat, stir in rice and mix well.
- Pour into prepared dish, dot with butter and bake 1½ hours, stirring after the first 30 minutes. The pudding should be creamy (not runny) and have a golden crust. If the pudding is very runny, return to the oven and bake a little longer.
- Remove from the oven, and then allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.