• 100g sugar
• 50g water
• 500ml milk
• 70g caster sugar
• 5ml vanilla extract
• 3 eggs
• 3 egg yolks
• Butter, soft
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (fan) or 160°C.
- Make caramel by heating sugar and water until dark golden brown
- Pour into slightly warmed moulds.
- Allow to cool – do not put in fridge as sugar might go sticky and tacky.
- Once caramel is hard, butter the sides of the ramekins above the level of the caramel.
- Whisk the eggs, vanilla extract and caster sugar.
- Gently heat the milk, and then temper the egg mixture with the warm milk.
- Whisk gently, and then strain.
- Pour into moulds, and then place in bain-marie (filled ¾ up the sides of mould with boiling water).
- Cook in the oven until the custard has set.
- Remove from bain-marie, and place on cooling rack or in refrigerator to set.
- Loosen the sides of custard, then tip onto small plate and turn upside down.
- Place a serving dish on top of the ramekin and turn upside down.