• 280g flour
• 2½ cups (625ml) milk
• ½ cup (125ml) water
• 2 eggs
• 2 tbsp (30ml) oil
• ¼ cup (60ml) castor sugar
• 400g fresh strawberries
• 1 litre fresh cream
• 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla paste
• ¼ cup (60ml) icing sugar, or to taste
• 2 cups roughly crushed meringues
- Whisk flour, milk water, eggs, oil and sugar to make a smooth, thin batter.
- Heat a pan, and grease well.
- Using a ladle, pour batter into pan and swirl so that the batter covers the bottom of the pan in a thin layer.
- Allow pancake to cook for 1-2 minutes on one side, then turn and cook for another 30 seconds. The pancake needs to be light golden brown.
- Remove from pan, place on a plate and continue to cook pancakes until all the batter has been used up.
- Cool pancakes completely before assembling the stack.
- Place 150g of the strawberries into a blender. Blend until smooth, and then set aside.
- Slice remaining strawberries.
- Whisk cream, vanilla and icing sugar until soft peaks form, then stir in half the strawberry purée to ripple through the cream.
- Start layering the dessert by placing a pancake onto a serving platter or cake stand, then spread on a layer of the strawberry cream, top with some crumbled meringue and fresh chopped strawberries, then top with another pancake.
- Repeat layering until all the filling and pancakes are used up.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve sliced into wedges like a cake.