- 500g white bread flour
- 2tsp salt
- 2 packet yeast
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 400ml cold water
- Maldon salt
- 250g gorgonzola cheese
- 30g fresh basil
- 2 firm fresh figs, sliced
- 50ml olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Place flour, salt, yeast, olive oil and 300ml of water into a mixing bowl.
- Gently stir with hand or wooden spoon to form a dough.
- Knead in bowl for 5 minutes, gradually adding the remaining water.
- Tip dough onto oiled work surface, and continue kneading for 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with cling film. Leave to rise until doubled in size.
- Line two large baking sheets with greaseproof paper.
- Divide dough into two and flatten onto each tray, pushing into the corners. Leave to prove for 1 hour.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Half way through bake, arrange figs and top with 1tsp of cheese.
- When bread is ready remove from oven, drizzle with olive oil.
- Leave to cool, then roughly tear the basil and scatter over the bread.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.