- 500g bread flour
- 1 sachet instant yeast
- 30ml olive oil
- 10g sea salt
- 400ml cold water
- Extra olive oil
- Extra salt flakes
- 100g black olives
- ½ lemon, zested
- 100ml olive oil
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Sift flour into a bowl.
- Add yeast, salt and olive oil.
- Add most of the water, and mix by hand to form a wet dough.
- Add the rest of the water.
- Stretch and knead dough until gluten develops.
- Place in an oiled, square or rectangular bowl and cover with cling wrap.
- Leave to rise until doubled in size.
- Stretch out onto baking tray, and press down with fingers.
- Allow to rise once more until doubled in size.
- Create dimples with your fingers, pour oil over and scatter olives.
- Bake at 220°C for 20 minutes.
- Combine ingredients, and heat for a few seconds to release herb oils.
- Pour over focaccia just before going into the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.