- 450g cake flour
- 10g baking powder
- 20g ground ginger
- 7g ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 250g unsalted butter
- 400g muscovado sugar
- 90g golden syrup
- 2 eggs
- 20g butter, for greasing
- 300g caster sugar
- 90ml water
- 3g glucose syrup
- 2 gelatin leaves
- 85g light corn syrup
- 13ml glycerin
- 455g icing sugar
- Various food colouring
- 5 sosatie sticks
- 100g egg whites
- 300g fresh breadcrumbs
- 455g icing sugar
- 30g egg whites
- 40ml lemon juice
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and sugar, and rub in with fingertips.
- Gently beat the egg.
- Mix in the syrup, and add enough egg to smooth dough.
- Shape the dough into a ball and chill for 30 minutes.
- Grease non-stick baking sheets.
- Roll the dough to a 5mm thickness.
- Cut into rows to aid baking, and place on the baking sheets.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes
- Trim into desired shapes while still warm.
- Cool for 2-3 minutes, and then loosen with a palette knife.
- Set aside to cool on the baking sheets.
- Combine the ingredient and cook to 155-165°C, until the mixture becomes a straw colour.
- Stop the cooking process by dipping the pot in cold water.
- Create a braai pit and cover using a soup spoon.
- Dip a fork into the caramel to form thin threads – smoke.
- Soak the gelatin in 30ml of water in a heatproof bowl for 5 minutes.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan with boiling water.
- Heat until the gelatin is dissolved.
- Stir in the corn syrup and glycerin until blended and hot.
- Sift and place the icing sugar in a very large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the gelatin mixture.
- Stir well to incorporate and the mixture becomes a dense mass.
- Knead until smooth and malleable.
- Divide and colour with food colouring as required.
- Using fondant icing, create mielies, boerewors and steaks.
- Create a potjie pot and use sosatie sticks to create the legs.
- Create a log and fire to sit inside the braai pit.
- Toast the breadcrumbs until golden.
- Brush a cake board with egg white and coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Combine the icing sugar, egg white and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Sandwich the ginger bread brick with royal icing.
- Adjust the egg white and lemon to create the right consistency.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.