- 125g butter, room temperature
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g mixed luxury tree nuts
- 5ml cinnamon
- 250g muscovado sugar
- 1 large egg
- 225g cake flour
- 5ml bicarbonate of soda
- 250g crème fraîche (sour cream)
- 300g fresh gooseberries
- 2½ml salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease and flour ovenproof dish.
- Cover sides and bottom of dish with baking paper.
- Melt 40g of the butter in a bowl.
- Mix the caster sugar, cinnamon and nuts with the melted butter.
- Cream the rest of the butter with the muscovado sugar.
- Add flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt to the mixture.
- Mix in the sour cream.
- Add the gooseberries, and fold mixture gently.
- Scoop nut mixture over batter in dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut into squares.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.