• 2 tsp (10ml) cumin seeds
• 2 tsp (10ml) coriander seeds
• 2 tsp (10ml) caraway seeds
• 5 fresh red chillies, deseeded
• 1 small can or sachet (50g) tomato paste
• ½ cup (125ml) olive oil
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 8 cloves of garlic
• 1 tbsp (15ml) chilli flakes
• ¾ tsp (4ml) salt
- Toast spices in a hot, dry pan for 2 minutes, or until you can smell they become aromatic. Remove, and set aside.
- In the same pan, char the chillies until they are well blistered on all sides.
- Pop all the ingredients into a blender and process until smooth.