- 390g roasted hazelnuts
- 480g icing sugar
- 195g caster sugar
- 9 extra large egg whites, aged
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- Drizzle of hazelnut essence
- 350g soft unsalted butter
- 700g icing sugar
- 8tsp Jacobs coffee, dissolved in hot water (or good quality coffee extract)
- 340g chocolate (70%)
- 340g milk chocolate
- 3 cups heavy cream
- Hazelnut syrup
- Grind hazelnuts with icing sugar until fine. Sift and regrind any larger pieces.
- Leave the egg whites for 24-48 hours to age them.
- Beat egg whites with a whisk until soft, and then add caster sugar slowly.
- Beat until stiff with cream of tartar and essence.
- Fold nut mixture slowly into the meringue until well combined and ribbon-like.
- Pipe into 20cm rounds and bake at 140°C for 35 minutes.
- Whip butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the coffee or coffee essence and whip until ready.
- Heat cream and pour over chocolate.
- Leave to melt.
- Lightly whip when cooled.
- Place one meringue on a serving platter and layer with buttercream.
- Drizzle with hazelnut syrup.
- Add a ganache layer.
- Repeat three times.
- Top with a melted ganache layer.
- Decorate with toasted chopped hazelnuts and piped coffee buttercream.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.