Serves: 4 people
Preparation time: 20 min
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 15 ml white vinegar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 pinch salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp smooth apricot jam
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups water, boiling
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 10 ml vanilla essence
- 450 ml (2 tins) evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Into medium mixing bowl, sieve flour, baking powder, brown sugar and salt.
- Add eggs, baking soda, jam, butter and milk.
- Mix thoroughly, until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Bake for 25 min. Pudding should be brown and when a knife is inserted, it should come out clean.
- While pudding is baking, prepare the sauce.
- In a microwaveable bowl, combine water, sugar, vanilla and evaporated milk. Heat until sugar dissolves.
- Pour hot sauce over pudding little by little.
- Note: The pudding will continue to absorb sauce, so keep adding a little at a time. This can take several min. It helps to poke a few holes in the pudding with a knife, to ensure more sauce absorption.
- Cook all until sugar is dissolved.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Churn 20-25 min, place in fridge to set.