Serves: 6 people
Preparation time: 6 hrs
- 2kg pork belly
- 2 x 500g lard
- 1 pkt odon noodles
- 1 pkt (80g) baby carrots
- 1 pkt (80g) sugar snap peas
- 1 pkt (80g) baby marrow
- 8 bird's eye chillies
- 300g ginger, fresh
- 2 sticks lemon grass
- 2 limes
- 150g palm sugar
- 150ml fish sauce
- 3 litre water
- 400g chicken backs
- 150m dark soya sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 pkt coriander leaves, fresh
- Chop chicken backs, lemon grass, chilli and ginger. Add lime juice, fish sauce, palm sugar, water and allow to boil for 2 hrs.
- Prepare odon noodles and cut julienne veg.
- Strain stock and clarify, place back in pot for warming later. Soya sauce and coriander will be added later.
- Score fat of pork belly in a criss-cross pattern. Season with salt, pepper and crushed coriander corns.
- Place fat-side up on a baking tray and completely cover with layers of lard.
- Cover with foil and cook for 5-6 hrs. Remove and place between layers of wax paper and two cutting boards with a weight on top for 12 hrs.
- Cut belly into squares and sprinkle fat side with salt. Fry in a griddle pan until crunchy crackling appears.
- Place noodles in bottom of large serving bowl and garnish with julienne veg and squares of belly, broth is served on the side for pouring over.