Pizza base (makes 4 thick or 6 thin pizza bases):
• 1kg white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
• 1 packet (10g) instant yeast
• 2 tbsp (30ml) sugar
• 2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil
• 3-4 cups (750ml-1L) warm water
• 1 tbsp (15ml) salt
• 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
• 2 fat cloves garlic
• 2 cans (410g each) tomato purée
• 1 sachet (50g) tomato paste
• 1 tsp (5ml) sugar
• 3 sprigs each of fresh thyme and fresh oregano
• Salt and milled pepper
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl, and make a well in the centre.
- Pour oil and half the water into the well and mix, pulling flour from the outside in. Add remaining water. Mix to form sticky dough.
- Tip dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Allow to rest for 20 minutes, and then knead for another 5 minutes (this ensures a super stretchy dough).
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm place for 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
Prepping the oven:
- Preheat oven to maximum setting (for most ovens, that’s 240-260°C).
- If you are using a pizza stone, place it in the cold oven before you start heating to prevent it from cracking.
- If you are using a baking tray, use the thickest, sturdiest one you own. The heavier the tray, the hotter it gets – it’s that initial blast of heat your dough is after to form airy bubbles and a crisp base.
- Heat oil and fry garlic over a very low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes.