• 1kg sugar
• 500ml water
• 1 lemon, juice of
• 1 orange, peel of
• 2ml cream of tartar
• 30g ginger, freshly sliced
• 330g flour
• 7½ml baking powder
• 1½ml salt
• 100ml water
• 60ml milk
• 20ml oil
• extra oil, for frying
- Simmer the ingredients to dissolve the sugars.
- Boil for 10 minutes, brushing the sides occasionally with water to retard crystal formation.
- Strain syrup.
- Chill until ice cold.
- Split the syrup into two bowls, keeping half in the fridge.
- Combine ingredients, and knead to a soft and pliable dough.
- Rest for 15 minutes – if not rested, the dough will shrink back once cut due to gluten not being relaxed.
- Cut the dough into rectangles of 2cm x 10cm.
- Cut each rectangle lengthways into 3 strips, leaving one side uncut.
- Plait the 3 strips and press the cut ends together firmly.
- Fry in batches of 4 at 190°C for 6-7 minutes, or until dark golden straw colour. Don’t overload the fryer. Keep the rest of the koeksisters covered to prevent them from drying out.
- Dip the koeksisters into the ice-cold syrup while they are still hot. Keep them submerged under the syrup until you can see that they have absorbed the liquid.
- Remove from the syrup with a slotted spoon, and place on a wire rack.
- The syrup will become hot with use, so replace with the remaining syrup about halfway through.