• Olive oil
• 3 large leeks, washed and sliced
• 3 garlic cloves
• 1 sprig thyme, leaves picked
• 300g pearl barley
• Grated peel of 1 small lemon
• 1 cup (250ml) dry white wine
• 1¼ litres vegetable stock
• 300g Swiss chard, chopped, or baby spinach leaves
• Handful parsley, chopped
• ½ cup (125ml) parmesan
- Sauté leeks and garlic in oil, until soft.
- Add thyme, barley and lemon peel, and stir-fry for a minute to coat barley in oil.
- Add wine and a couple of ladles of stock.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until at least half of the stock is absorbed before adding more.
- Repeat until barley is tender, and most of the stock absorbed.
- Stir in spinach, parsley and parmesan.
- Season well, and serve.