• 250g flour
• 90g icing sugar
• 125g butter, room temperature
• 1 egg
• pinch salt
• 4 lemons, zest of
• 250ml lemon juice
• 2 eggs
• 6 egg yolks
• 150g caster sugar
• 180ml double cream
• 110g egg whites
• 300g sugar
• 100g water
- Sift flour and icing sugar into a large bowl with salt.
- Add the butter, and rub to form fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in centre, and then add the egg and combine.
- Gently knead on table top to form a dough (do not overwork or it will be tough). Allow to rest.
- Roll out into a large circle (4mm thick) and line a pie dish.
- Blind bake at 180°C for 15 minutes.
- Combine the ingredients, except zest.
- Strain to achieve a uniform smooth finish, then add the zest.
- Pour into baked pie dish.
- Bake at 150°C, until just set.
- Remove from oven, and allow to cool.
- Combine sugar and water in a pot, and bring to 118°C (do not stir).
- Whisk egg whites to medium peaks.
- Pour syrup slowly in a continuous stream, and crank up the machine.
- Whisk until the mixture has cooled to room temperature.
- Add the meringue to the top of the pie.
- Caramelize with a blowtorch.