Serves: 6 people
Preparation time: 90 min
Vanilla ice cream
- 285 ml double cream
- 300 ml full cream milk
- 115 g castor sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 3 egg yolks
- 8 egg whites
- 2 cups castor sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup castor sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 100 g biscuits, crushed
- fresh strawberries
- fresh blueberries
- micro herbs
Vanilla ice cream
- Into pot, place cream, milk and half the sugar.
- Slit vanilla pod, scoop out seeds. Add pod and seeds to cream mixture.
- Heat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until almost boiling. Remove from heat and set aside 30 min.
- Into mixing bowl, place egg yolks and remaining sugar. Beat for 2 min.
- Scoop out 1/2 cup cream mixture and beat into egg mixture.
- Reheat cream until it just comes to the boil.
- Remove from heat, stir in egg mixture.
- Return to low heat and cook ± 10 min, stirring constantly with wooden spoon.
- Pour into heatproof bowl, then place in larger bowl, filled with iced water.
- Cool 20 min, stirring occasionally to prevent skin forming on surface. Refrigerate 3-4 hrs.
- Remove from fridge and remove vanilla pod.
- Slowly pour into ice cream machine. Leave to churn until desired consistency reached.
- Spoon into plastic container, cover with clingfilm. Place lid on and freeze for min 3 hrs.
- Preheat oven to 120 C.
- Into bowl for electric mixer, place egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. Set over saucepan of simmering water .
- Whisk until sugar dissolved and egg whites warm.
- Transfer bowl to electric mixer. Whisk at high speed 7 min.
- Add vanilla essence and mix through.
- Pipe 1/2 meringue mixture in desired shapes on lined baking tray.
- Bake 90 min. Switch off oven, leaving meringues to cool in oven.
- Purée frozen berries, castor sugar and lemon juice.
- Pass through sieve to remove seeds.
- Place coulis in bottle and refrigerate until serving.
- Sprinkle crushed biscuits onto plate.
- Place unused meringue mixture into piping bag and pipe 3 generous dollops onto crushed biscuits.
- Add a meringue on top of each dollop.
- Place fresh fruit in amongst meringues.
- Add dots of berry coulis.
- Add some micro herbs, to garnish.
- Add 1 scoop ice cream into a small bowl and set to side of plate.