Serves: 6 people
Preparation time: 15 min, Cooking time: 8 hrs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 kg beef cheeks
- 1 onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 carrot
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 4 dry bay leaves
- 250 ml beef stock
- 500 ml red wine
- 2 tsp salt
- black pepper
- 800 g potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Pat beef dry, then season all over with 1 tsp salt and black pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in pan on high heat. Sear beef cheeks on each side until browned. Remove from heat, cover with foil to keep warm, set aside.
- Reduce pan heat to med-high, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Add garlic, onion, carrots and sauté 3 min. Add celery and sauté 3 min.
- Pour onion mixture into slow cooker, place beef cheeks on top.
- Pour wine into pan, increase heat to high. Simmer 1 min, scraping brown bits off bottom of pan to mix with the wine.
- Pour wine into slow cooker and add all remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 8 hrs / high for 6 hrs.
- Remove beef cheeks, discard thyme stems and bay leaves.
- Using stick blender, purée the liquid into smooth sauce.
- Pour sauce into saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Simmer ± 10 min.
- Adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Return cheeks to sauce and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Peel and cube potatoes.
- Place in boiling water and cook until soft.
- Drain potatoes, add milk and butter.
- Mash potatoes until smooth and lump free.
- Add parmesan and mix through.