Serves: 4 people
Preparation time: 45 min
- baking spray
- 6 large eggs
- 300 g castor sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 100 g flour
- 70 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup cherry brandy
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 500 g pitted black cherries
- 1 punnet mint leaves
- 1 punnet edible flowers
- 1/2 cup chocolate sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C.
- Beat eggs and slowly pour in 200 g castor sugar and vanilla essence. Stir until well mixed.
- Into separate bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture and combine well. Add butter and mix.
- Spray rectangular cake tin with baking spray, pour in batter and level out. Bake 20 min.
- Remove from oven, transfer to cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
- Using round cookie cutter or a glass, cut cake into circles. Using knife, cut circles into layers.
- Drizzle cherry brandy over cake layers.
- Beat together cream, remaining castor sugar and 1 tbsp cherry brandy, until stiff. Fold in cherries.
- Spread cream mixture onto cake layers and stack on top of each other.
- Drizzle with chocolate sauce, decorate with mint leaves, flowers and a few whole cherries.