Serves: 4-6 people
Preparation time: 60 min (includes tenderising)
- 2 large fillet/rump steak
- 250 ml water
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 onions, quartered
- 3 tbsp ground nut oil
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp Shaosing sauce / dry sherry / Chinese sherry
- Place fresh meat in freezer for 30 min. This helps with slicing.
- Trim off excess fat, slice thinly and flatten each slice. Place in bowl.
- Combine water and bicarb, mix well. Pour over steak and tenderise for 1 hr.
- Combine Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- Drain and rinse meat well, pat dry.
- Heat wok/volcano pan to very high temp.
- Add steak and stir fry ±2 min.
- Clean wok, add oil and steak. Brown thoroughly, remove and set aside.
- Place cast iron sizzling platters in oven for 10 min, until piping hot.
- Stir fry onions and remove from wok when they still have crunch.
- Return steak to wok, add sauce and bring to quick boil. Reduce heat and simmer 2-3 min.
- Remove cast iron plates from oven, place onions around sides of plate and steak with sauce in centre.
- Drizzle over with sherry sauce and serve sizzling.