- 230g butter, room temperature
- 200g granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 lime, zest of
- 2½ml mint extract
- 210g cake flour
- 7½ml baking powder
- 2½ml salt
- 100ml buttermilk
- 25ml juice from mango slices
- 10ml lime juice
- 1 can (410g) mango slices
- 115g butter, room temperature
- 390-520g icing sugar
- 30ml lime juice
- 30ml mango juice
- Orange food colouring
- Mint leaves, for decoration
- Mango slices, for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a stand mixer at medium speed, until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating at medium-low speed.
- Add the lime zest and mint extract.
- Sift the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk, mango juice and lime juice.
- Cut 4 slices of mango into small pieces.
- Toss the mango pieces in flour over a sieve or colander.
- Fold the mango pieces into the batter.
- Line a cupcake tray with cases.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake cases, ensuring that every one contains mango.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- Beat the butter in a stand mixer at medium speed until fluffy.
- Turn the mixer speed to low, and slowly add the icing sugar 1 cup at a time.
- Add the lime juice, mango juice and colouring.
- Beat on a medium speed for 2-3 minutes, until well combined and fluffy.
- Ice the cooled cupcakes with frosting using a French nozzle.
- Decorate with mint leaves and mango slices.
This recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.