- 340g cake flour
- 260g cold butter
- 110g caster sugar
- 50g hazelnuts
- 150g unsalted butter
- 385g condensed milk
- 100g golden syrup
- 10g salt flakes
- 175g dark chocolate
- 175g milk chocolate
- 80g white chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Line a 23cm x 33cm cake tin with baking parchment.
- Combine the flour and cold butter cubes until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Crush the hazelnuts.
- Add the caster sugar and nuts, and combine.
- Tip the mixture into cake tin and press down firmly with knuckles until tightly packed.
- Bake for +/- 30 minutes, until light golden brown.
- Set aside to cool.
- Heat butter, condensed milk and syrup in a saucepan, stirring until butter is melted.
- Bring mixture to the boil, stirring frequently until mixture is golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly, and then pour over the cooled shortbread.
- Sprinkle the salt flakes sparingly over the caramel.
- Melt the dark and milk chocolate.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel.
- Melt the white chocolate, pipe stripes and score decoratively.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Cut into 12 equal squares.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.