- 180g (6) egg whites
- 330g caster sugar
- 150g macadamia nuts
- 200g muscovado brown sugar
- 160ml water
- 30g milk
- 20g powdered ginger
- 250g unsalted butter
- 200g flaked macadamia nuts
- 20g icing sugar
- 200g fresh strawberries
- 5g cayenne pepper
- Process the nuts in food processor, until roughly chopped.
- Preheat the oven to 120°C.
- Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Draw two 20cm-diameter discs on each piece of non-stick baking paper.
- Place on baking trays.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the caster sugar, and continue beating until sugar dissolves.
- Fold in the macadamia flour until just combined.
- Pipe the meringue mixture onto the four prepared discs.
- Bake (swapping trays halfway through cooking) for 1 hour, or until dry and crisp.
- Turn oven off.
- Leave meringues in the oven to cool to room temperature.
- Combine the water, brown sugar, milk. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Beat butter, ginger and pepper in a medium bowl until very pale.
- Gradually pour in the milk mixture in a thin, steady stream.
- Beat until well combined.
- Toast flaked macadamia nuts in a frying pan over medium heat. Set aside to cool.
- Reserve ¼ of butter mixture.
- Place one meringue disc on a cake stand or serving plate.
- Spread with ¼ of the remaining butter mixture.
- Top with another disk and add chopped strawberries.
- Top with another disk and spread with butter mixture.
- Add the final disc.
- Top with strawberries, dust with icing sugar and serve.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.