• 1 baguette • Feta discs
• ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
• 6 onions, sliced
• 4 cloves garlic
• 2 whole green chillies
• 2-3 tsp (10-15ml) cayenne pepper
• 3-4 tbsp (45-60ml) brown or white sugar
• ⅓ cup (80ml) water
• ¼ cup (60ml) red wine
• 3 tbsp (45ml) balsamic vinegar
• 2 bay leaves
• Salt and milled pepper
- Slice a baguette about three-quarters the way through.
- Butter between each slice.
- Liberally spread onion marmalade (recipe below) inside each slit.
- Halve the feta discs, then slice again to create half moon shapes. Pop in between each slice.
- Wrap in foil and braai over medium coals, or bake in the oven at 180°C for 15 minutes.
- Heat pan and add oil.
- Add onions, garlic, chillies and cayenne pepper.
- Cook until soft and brown around the edges. Remove chillies.
- Add sugar and water, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar and wine, and cook until jammy (about 20-30 minutes). Season well.
- Once it becomes dark brown and jammy, cool and store for up to 4 weeks in the fridge.