- 7 oranges
- 4tbsp water
- 200g caster sugar
- 120g unsalted butter
- 300g unsalted butter
- 300g caster sugar
- 225g (4½) eggs
- 4 oranges
- 150g plain flour
- 10g baking powder
- 15g cardamom
- 5g salt
- 120g semolina
- 380g ground almonds
- 150g marmalade
- 30ml water
- 200g chopped pistachios (unsalted)
- Grease and line a baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan).
- Finely zest the oranges.
- Slice the oranges into 5mm slices.
- Square off into identical squares.
- In a saucepan, stir the sugar and water until paste like.
- Transfer to a medium heat, and brush the sides with water.
- Do not stir, and heat until it is a light brown in colour.
- Remove from the heat and carefully add the butter, a little at a time.
- Once all the butter is incorporated, pour into the prepared tin.
- Lay the orange segments evenly in the tray.
- Juice the oranges.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the eggs, one by one, whisking after each addition.
- Add the orange juice, orange blossom essence and reserved orange zest.
- Add the polenta, salt, cardamom and ground almonds. Mix to incorporate.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder.
- Pour the batter over the orange and caramel mixture, and level off.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until cooked. Do not over bake.
- Remove from the oven and leave for 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto a cake board (upside down), and remove the baking paper.
- Melt the marmalade and water, and brush once cool.
- Top the edges with the chopped pistachios around the orange segments.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.