• 150g spaghetti
• 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
• 2 eggs, beaten
• a pinch of oregano
• 400g tinned cherry tomatoes
• 1 tsp oregano
• a good pinch of sugar
• 50g black olives, drained and pitted
• 6 anchovy fillets, drained
• 6 large basil leaves
- Cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water until al dente, approximately 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta into a colander and leave to drain to remove the majority of the water.
- Preheat the grill to a high heat. In the meantime, start to make the simple pasta rossa sauce. In a medium sized saucepan bring the tinned tomatoes and oregano to a simmer with salt and pepper. After five minutes of simmering, blend with a hand blender or in batches in a liquidiser until smooth. Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Lay out a clean tea towel, tip out the pasta onto it and roll it in the tea towel to remove all excess moisture.
- Heat a large frying pan with one tablespoon of the olive oil. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the oregano and seasoning. Place the pasta in the bowl with the eggs and toss to thoroughly coat the pasta. This is easiest to do with your hands.
- When the oil in the frying pan is really hot, add the pasta and spread out evenly across the surface of the pan. Fry for four minutes, or until the base is really golden and crunchy.
- Add the tomato sauce to the top and arrange the anchovy fillets and scatter over the olives, along with the olives and anchovies. Place under the grill for 4-5 minutes. Scatter with the basil leaves.