Peanut butter and jam
- 225g flour
- 125g cold butter, cubed
- 25g icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 3tbsp iced water
- 1 pinch salt
- 400g strawberries, washed and quartered
- 400g white sugar
- 60g smooth peanut butter
- Egg wash
- Caster sugar, for sprinkling
Cheeky chicken and mushroom pies
- 2tbsp olive oil
- ½ rotisserie chicken
- 100g button mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 50g butter
- 2tbsp flour
- 300ml milk
- 200ml chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch nutmeg
- 3 cups flour
- 100g cold butter, grated
- 125ml cold water
- Milk, for brushing
- 1 pinch salt
Lebanese meat pies
- 500g flour, sifted
- 1tsp baking powder
- ½tsp salt
- ½tsp sugar
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 250ml water
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 300g minced beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 100g pine nuts
- 50g double thick Greek yoghurt
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Place flour, salt, eggs and water into a large mixing bowl, and gently mix to an even dough.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface, and knead for 10 minutes until smooth.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place into a plastic bag in the freezer to chill slightly.
- Place the chilled butter between two sheets of cling film.
- Flatten the chilled butter into a rectangle, by beating down with a rolling pin.
- Place butter back into freezer.
- Remove dough and roll into a 60cm x 30cm rectangle. Remove butter from freezer.
- Place butter on dough so that it covers the dough's bottom two thirds.
- Lift the exposed dough at the top, and fold it over half of the butter.
- Fold the butter-covered bottom half of the dough over the top.
- Pinch the edges together to seal.
- Place back into plastic bag and allow to chill in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove dough from freezer and place on a lightly floured surface with the short end facing
- towards you.
- Roll out to a rectangle, keeping the edges as even as possible.
- Fold the top quarter down, and the bottom quarter up so that the meet evenly in the centre.
- Fold dough again in the middle to close it like a book.
- Put in plastic bag and chill in fridge for 15 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and repeat above process twice, resting for 15 minutes in the
- fridge between folds. After final fold, wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Wilt the spinach and watercress in a pan of water.
- Remove from heat, place in colander and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Finely chop and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Mix crab meat with the mayonnaise, dill and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and add to the spinach mixture.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- Remove the pastry from freezer, cut in half and place one half on a lightly floured surface. (Chill the other half.)
- Roll out pastry evenly into a (5mm) thick rectangle slightly longer than the fillet.
- Cut the salmon fillet horizontally into two even pieces.
- Spread a third of the spinach and crab mix in the centre of the pastry.
- Place one half of the salmon fillet in the centre of the pastry, on top of the spinach mix.
- Repeat a layer of spinach on top of the salmon, and place the remaining salmon piece on top of the spinach.
- Spread final layer of spinach on top of salmon, and pat down to secure.
- Remove the other puff pastry half from the freezer, and roll out as above.
- Beat egg and salt, and brush the exposed pastry around the salmon.
- Place the second piece of pastry on top and press to seal, crimping as you go.
- Trim off excess pastry.
- Roll out excess pastry and cut shapes using cutter.
- Brush wellington with egg, place shapes on the wellington and finally brush before baking.
- Score 2-3 holes on top of pastry to allow the steam to release.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Gently lift the bottom to see if it is brown and crisp.
The following recipe was created and written by the accredited contestant of The Great South African Bake Off. BBC Worldwide accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of ingredients, method or content.