• Olive oil
• 1kg topside
• Salt and milled black pepper
• 2 onions, finely chopped
• 50g pancetta or bacon
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed
• 3 celery stalks, chopped finely
• 2 carrots, chopped finely
• 3 sprigs fresh thyme
• 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
• 3 sprigs oregano
• 1 cup (250ml) red wine
• About 2 cups (500g) beef stock
• 1 can (410g) tomato purée
• Salt and milled pepper
• 5 cups (1¼ml) milk, water or stock
• 250g instant polenta
• 1 tsp (5ml) salt
• 2 tbsp (30ml) olive oil
• ¼ cup grated parmesan, plus extra for topping
• 3 tbsp (45ml) butter
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Heat oil in a large pot, and season meat with salt and pepper.
- Brown the meat in the oil on all sides. Remove from heat, and set aside. Add onion to the pot, and fry to soften for a few minutes. Add pancetta/bacon, and fry for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery, carrot and herbs. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, including meat, cover and pop the pot in the oven.
- When the meat has braised for 3 hours, remove it from the heat and carefully remove the herb stalks.
- Pull meat with forks to shred, adjust seasoning, and spoon into a large ovenproof dish.
- Spoon over polenta.
- Top with grated parmesan, and grill until golden.
- Bring the stock and salt to a boil in a medium-sixed saucepan.
- Once the water is boiling, pour in the polenta (in a steady stream), stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 5-10 minutes (until thick and creamy).
- Stir through parmesan and butter.
- Set aside until needed. If it thickens up, whisk through some extra liquid before serving.