• 450g ricotta cheese
• 100g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
• 2 large egg yolks
• 2 tbsp (30ml) lemon zest, finely grated
• 1 cup (60g) parmesan cheese, grated, plus extra for serving
• 125g salted butter
• 40 sage leaves (5 per person)
- Mix all the gnocchi ingredients together and knead lightly on a floured surface until it just comes together in a ball.
- Divide dough into 4. Roll into 2-2½cm thick sausages, and cut each into 12.
- Use a fork to make ridges on the cut side of each gnocchi, pressing them into slightly oval shapes.
- Cook in boiling water until they float to the top. Remove from the water, and allow to cool slightly and firm up. This can be done in advance, and you can keep covered in the fridge until needed.
- Heat butter in a large pan until frothy. Add sage leaves and gnocchi. Fry until gnocchi is golden, leaves have become crispy and butter has turned a light brown colour.
- Serve gnocchi in large shallow bowls (about 6 per person) with at least 4-5 large sage leaves and a spoonful of brown butter.