• 5 cups (1¼ litres) beef or chicken stock
• 1 tsp (5ml) saffron strands
• 4 tbsp (60ml) butter
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 2 cups (500ml) Arborio rice
• ½ cup (125ml) dry white wine
• ⅓ cup (80ml) grated parmesan
• 1 tbsp (15ml) fresh parsley, chopped, optional
• Salt and milled pepper
- Bring the stock and saffron to a gentle simmer.
- Heat 2 tbsp butter in a large saucepan, and sweat onion for about 5 minutes. Do not allow to colour.
- Add rice, and stir, making sure each grain is coated in butter (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add the wine, stir and cook to evaporate.
- Add ½ a cup of the simmering stock and allow it to simmer and evaporate, while stirring constantly.
- Repeat process, a ladleful at a time.
- When the rice has reached a creamy consistency, is swollen and just cooked through (about 20-25 minutes), stir in the remaining butter, parmesan and parsley.
- Season to taste, and serve.