• 2 duck breast fillets, skin slashed
• 2 tsp (10ml) Chinese 5-spice powder
• 1.2 litres chicken stock
• 2 whole chillies
• 5cm knob grated ginger
• 2 fat cloves garlic, crushed
• 2 star anise
• 4 spring onions, chopped
• 1 tbsp (15ml) sesame oil
• 3-4 tbsp (45-60ml) soy sauce
• 300g egg noodles, cooked
• 4 boiled eggs
• ½ cup (125ml) bean sprouts
• Handful fresh coriander
• 4 spring onions, sliced
• Sliced chillies
- Rub duck skin with Chinese 5-spice and salt. Sear, fat-side-down, in a smoking hot pan until browned and crisp.
- Roast at the highest temperature your oven will reach for 5 minutes.
- Set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice before serving.
- Place all broth ingredients, except noodles, in a large pot.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Spoon noodles into a heated bowl.
- Ladle over broth.
- Top with sliced duck, boiled egg, bean sprouts, herbs, spring onions and chillies.