Serves: 8 people
Preparation time: 90 min
- 40 ml (8 tsp) oil
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup (250 ml) castor sugar + extra
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cornflour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) white vinegar
- 100 g (1 slab) dark chocolate, chopped
- 250 ml cream
- 1 tin caramel treat
- 2 peppermint crisp chocolates
- peppermint food colouring
- 180 ml granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 4 tsp water
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Separate eggs and put yolks aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, until mixture is glossy and stiff.
- Sift corn flour over, add vinegar and chocolate and fold through.
- Hold bowl upside down, to check if mixture is correct consistency.
- Spread mixture on baking tray lined with baking paper and bake 30 min.
- Reduce heat, bake for further 30 min.
- Turn oven off and allow meringue to cool in oven.
- Beat cream to soft peaks and mix caramel through.
- Layer meringue, caramel mix, peppermint crisp.
- Place in fridge to chill.
- Place syrup, sugar and water into pan, cook until sugar dissolved.
- Bring to the boil, simmer 5 min.
- Remove from heat, add bicarb, mixing quickly. Note: Mixture will froth up and triple in size.
- Immediately pour into tin and leave to cool.
- As it begins to cool, cut into bite size pieces. Break into pieces when fully set.
- Garnish with peppermint crisp, honeycomb and a sparkler